Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Forestry Competition

As a member of the Coffee County Home-School 4-H club, I was invited to participate in Coffee County's forestry program about two years ago. I have since then tried to develop a thorough knowledge of every aspect needed to go to the national competition. I have been now, to three regional and two state competitions. At my last state competition we were beat by merely 5.5 points, but my team and I are going back one last time (for me) to try for the first-in-state position on October 14. We placed second in the regionals yesterday, the first place going to our friends in the Coffee County A team. We knew they would be our toughest competition because we have practiced together all along.

Being in forestry has taught me more valuble skills than just leaf I.D. and tree measurement, it has taught me how to deal with many types of people, has been a huge help in getting me over some of my painful shyness, but has also taught the necessity of holding my tongue even, or I should say especially, in the most trying situations. It has taught me the necessity of working as a team, and oh how I hope we will be able to do that come state! I will write about how state went as soon as I get over my disapointment in loosing or get over my ecstacy of winning it.

I guess I ought to give a farm update: we no longer have any laying hens, and we have still got some broilers though I don't know the exact number.

No comments: