Monday, January 29, 2007

SPBGMA

I was just checking out the nominees for this year's national SPBGMA event in Nashville. Rhonda Vincent has so many nominations she can't help but walk away with several awards! She's got: songwriter, album, female vocalist (in the contemporary category), and the list goes on! Sometimes I wonder if bluegrass is so small that there really wasn't anybody else to nominate, but I know that can't be true. I am not a big Rhonda Vincent fan; I'm just not. You know how you can like or dislike something for no apparent reason; that is kind of how it is. I guess I have learned to appreciate a more traditional sound. Looking at the vocal group of the year I don't know all of them, but I see that Cherryholmes is still big (I have not heard enough of their stuff to form an opinion), predominately female groups (or groups with women leaders) are popular. Of course I would be the odd one, but I like the two that are all men (I think). Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver are GREAT! I have a CD of Mountain Heart and I like their sound, REALLY FAST! Anyway I would like to see: The Gibson Brothers "Red Letter Day" win the album of the year, gotta hope for Ronnie McCoury in the mandolin category, female vocalist-contemporary is difficult (don't listen to that stuff much) nope not gonna do it I'm not educated enough to form an opinion on this one, I'm not too sure of myself on the female-traditional either, I don't know about the male-contemporary maybe Ronnie Bowman maybe Terry Eldredge, Del McCoury or Larry Sparks for male-traditional, Gospel-contemporary I don't know any but the Isaacs and Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver so I'm hoping for the latter, Gospel-traditional again I just know Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver but BlueRidge has a good name, I'm hoping Mountain Heart will win vocal group, instrumental group would be the Grascals although Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky Thunder is good too, song of the year is again "Red Letter Day" by the Gibson Brothers, and I have no clue as to the last two categories. There. I've had my say.

No comments: