Saturday, June 16, 2007

I Have Been Remiss

I should have blogged about this earlier, but I didn't remember. I wasn't actually involved in it, but Kyle trapped a skunk the other night near the chicken house. Daddy killed it with the shotgun. Fortunately, it doesn't smell too bad, and the dogs haven't found it yet.

Daddy was at things early this morning. He was gone to Crossville before most of us were up! Anyway, he came back with the truck loaded with four barrels of feed! Almost as soon as he was home, he went off to get some more hay from a man down the road. Thankfully the man really is just down the road. The hay isn't exactly top-quality, horse-people hay, but it's good enough.

We are trying out a fly rub solution thing on Clarabelle. The flies have been getting around her feet and driving her crazy! We are trying one ounce of citronella in a gallon of apple cider vinegar. I think it may be helping some, but nothing will eliminate the problem altogether.

After lunch Daddy and Kyle moved the Freedom Ranger chicks outside into the newly-repaired, Salatin-style chicken tractor. The chicks seemed to be kind of amazed and unsure of what to do next.

We canned twelve pints of sliced peaches the other day. Aunt Carol brought them back for us. They were delicious peaches! Then Mama requested this pie done with peaches for her birthday "cake", and that was delicious. It's too bad we cannot find good peaches around here very often.

This morning Mama and Grammy (maybe others too; I wasn't there) started some sauerkraut. We only have one quart and three pints left from last year! I never really liked kraut until we made it; now I can't eat the store-bought stuff at all!

We'll have some squash soon from our lower garden. It seems a bit late, but we'll still probably have more than we can handle. The asparagus has been allowed to go to seed for the past week or two. We are have a bit of a better time with our corn than we did last year. We're suspecting any number of animals as being out corn thief; I just hope it goes to somebody else's corn patch this year. We had to use most of last years crop as cream corn to freeze it for the winter. We got to have corn on the cob last night!!! Sure it gets in the retainer, but at least I can eat it now! I went two years without being able to eat it on the cob, and I've always preferred it that way. I can't wait until our corn comes in!!!

I found one and five-eighths yards of denim fabric for $1.50 a yard at the Tullahoma Wal-mart! They're getting rid of the sewing section! They've already replaced the bulk of it with toys. I hope our Wal-mart doesn't do that! Where will we get fabric? Oh, what am I saying? I've got too much fabric to deal with now!

Claire and I are trying to learn "Black Mountain Rag", but it is incredibly difficult. Mr. Brantley said that fiddlers who usually play this carry another fiddle tuned to open A! He's teaching us a way so we don't have to re-tune, but that makes it harder.

I didn't really mean to make this into such a long post, but I just kept thinking about things I've been meaning to blog about.

1 comment:

Rox said...

Can you print your kraut receipe? I've been looking for a good one. Thank you