Wednesday, January 09, 2008

General update

Okay, then, since my last post I have finished Our Mutual Friend, and started The Wars of the Roses by Allison Weir (it was just one we had, don't know if it's good or bad.). I ended up enjoying the book Our Mutual Friend better than the movie. The movie was fairly close to the book (besides leaving out a great deal of the "Society" scenes, and making Eugene less bored than he seemed in the book), but it was more graphic. It had a few more disgusting parts in it that weren't in the book too.

Anyway, I am only at the beginning of this Allison Weir book, but so far, though sort of interesting, I'm not too crazy about it. For some reason, I tend to stray away from women authors when it comes to nonfiction. I don't particularly know why. It may be I don't like this book because of the first chapter where the authoress kept referring to the fourteenth and fifteenth century women as having been regarded as chattels and heir-bearing machines. She said this or things similar to this several times, and I just got tired of reading about how "poorly the women were treated" and so on. The parts about how the kings had to go to war with France just to keep the people and Parliament behind them are fairly interesting.

I have also done a great deal of quilting. See! I haven't quite forgotten my goals for this year! With quilting comes hours of stitching monotony unless, of course, you get to watch a movie! Which I have been doing (too much, judging by the way my head feels this afternoon). We watched the 2005 "Pride and Prejudice" and "National Treasure" yesterday; Kyle, Luke, and I watched "How the West was Won" this afternoon.

We've been making Claire practice the Psalms and hymns that we've learned in parts at church. Once she can play them, the rest of us can practice our parts.

I bought a planner a while back to use for the organization of my menus. I recently looked through the front pages that are used by students to write down stuff about where their classes are and who is teaching that class and so on. It also had a page for Morse code, Braille, and sign language alphabets; along with these however, was a section entirely devoted for emoticons!!! Mama, Claire, and I looked over some of them; these were some of our "favorites" (to laugh at):

O:-) meaning angel (if y'all already knew all this, please pardon me. This is completely new to me, except for the smiley :) or ;) or :( frown)

%-( meaning confused

:-& meaning tongue-tied

|-O meaning yawn

Looking these things up on Wikipedia brings up a few more than my little planner. I like these too:

',:Y meaning concerned duck

~:> meaning chicken

Just thought that was weird.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll get a post up soon that has a lot of pictures for those of my "readers" who don't look at this blog unless there are photos.

6 comments:

The Lingo Clan said...

2days youth us3 an 3normous amount of 3moticons and acryonyms fyi i find most of it all w/er u know they cant even type a sentence w/o using something funky neway have a good week

cyal8r,
JL

p.s. my fav 3moticon is O.o

Laura said...

w/er??? %-|

i got the rst of thm it took a wile tho

u 2 :)

Rachel said...

Well, I love Our Mutual Friend. But I only got about half-way through The War of the Roses. I found most of it really interesting though. This was awhile ago I must confess. I do think that she draws the wrong conclusions about Richard III, but then most people do. I don't know where you stand, but I hold to the opinion that he didn't kill the princes in the tower. Hmmm, one of the greatest historical mysteries there is.

guardian said...

I won't participate in all the emoticon/emotiocon/however you want to spell it frenzy, because thats a bit over my head. I will say, however, that I do read blogs w/o pictures, I might even find those more stimulating.

A Tale of Two cities is the best Dickens book I've ever read. The only one, but, good nonetheless.

All of you have a good week.

P.S.

The spelling of the emotion icons word is really bothering me. There seems to be no correct way to spell this without violating some sacred rule. I motion that we just say icons with emotion via keystrokes. Motion passed?

P.P.S.
Would someone please post a translation of Allelon Farm's recent post?

Laura said...

Rachel: I liked OMF alright, and I'm nearly half-way through Wars of the Roses. It's pretty interesting. Why'd you stop? I don't really have an opinion on King Richard III; I don't know enough.

Chris: Thank you for the encouragement to keep posting without pictures; I'm glad to know somebody reads them! I have been told that others don't.

I've read more Dickens than you!!! Cool! No, really, you've never even read A Christmas Carol? That was required reading for me a while back (I don't like it, but that's just me again). I found both of those other Dickens books interesting, but not among my favorites. I have a hard time coming up with favorites.

Is there some sacred rule??? No more smileys? Just kidding. I'll second. I don't understand too many of the slash, dash, number, symbol thing either.

Some of the words are from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky (Through the Looking-glass and What Alice Found There).

The Lingo Clan said...

w/er = whatever

See y'all later this week.

JL