Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Religious Satire and Work

I have a sort of strange liking of this stuff, but through all the satire I am learning more definitely what it is I am a part of and believe in. Recently, Susan posted about another satirical site, and this one is better than The Sacred Sandwich (I think) because his posts are relatively short, nice and simple, and fairly frequent.

Okay, the title says: Religious Satire and Work. I have to write something of the work that got accomplished today. No, I didn't even touch the sewing machine (I did want to though)! This morning I made a batch of bread which we later ate with lunch (I also did a pan of sweet rolls so I could pop them in the oven for breakfast tomorrow morning). Soon after I got the loaves out of the oven Kyle came in and said that Elijah would appreciate my help with the fencing effort. Mama and I went out, and I helped Elijah fence until lunchtime (around 1:30pm). After lunch, Kyle, Elijah, and I went back out to finish fencing around the pond. Once that was done, we decided to go to the pasture closest to the house (there is a debate about what to call that, but I'll post that another time) and get one strand of barbed wire up and drive the t-posts. After that was done we were all tired and getting a little touchy so we decided it was time to quit for the day.

I cannot close this without mentioning that while we were fencing Mr. and Mrs. Brothers were cleaning up the barn and the chicken house/shed! Daddy was so happy with all that had been done while he was away! Another thing I must not (for fear of chastisement) leave out is that Mama cooked lunch and dinner for the whole bunch of us, and Elizabeth and Catherine did a wonderful job watching out for the little ones!

3 comments:

guardian said...

Satire in writing can be, if used a correctly, a most effective tool. However, if you are afraid of stepping on someone's toes, it may be best to avoid the approach. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I find it easier to write in a sarcastic or satirical manner. If, however, it is possible to write in a manner which conveys thoughts or convictions straight-forwardly, I believe I would rather read this, and would most certainly like to be able to write better this way.

Just my two cents, and as I read back over it, it appears as though I didn't make any sense at all.

CS

Laura said...

Don't be ridiculous! You made perfect sense, and I quite agree with you. However, it does seem to me that you really can't write anything without insulting somebody.

Did you write satirically on your blog when you had it? Those of us who were all alone in TN (at that time) were very disappointed when you shut it down.

guardian said...

No,you're probably right, but in writing you establish who your audience is, and determine if you are going to break some toes, or deal graciously with them and the subject. You certainly can't write without insulting someone somewhere, but then again you are not writing to the whole world.

To be honest, I don't remember, but I don't think I did. Sorry to dissapoint you.

CS