Thursday, February 08, 2007

Who would you be?

Do you ever wonder who you would be, or who you would like to be, from the books that you've read? I do. I have imagined myself all the Jane Austin heroines and Edith (from The Inheritance, by Louisa May Alcott) and Polly (from An Old-Fashioned Girl, again by Alcott). I have caught myself being like Caroline Bingly in the scene where Mr. Bingly keeps trying to give his opinion and she keeps interrupting him. I have sometimes (thankfully not often) felt like Marianne from Sense and Sensibility, and I have often wanted to be like Fanny in Mansfield Park, all long-suffering and patient. One thing I recently noticed was that I don't think I have ever thought of myself as a Brontë novel heroine! I may have imagined myself as Shirley, while I read it, other than that I don't think I have. That is very odd for me not to even try to think of myself in the heroine's position, however, I find their books rather dark and depressing. I have recently been reading some Greek and Roman literature, but they are so different from what I normally read I can't even begin to place myself in the book or play!

We got a couple of pictures of Clarabelle, our future Jersey; I may be able to post them later.

No comments: