Monday, April 16, 2007

I Thought of Something Else to Blog About!

Another chick died a couple of days ago.

Really interesting.

Oh well, Daddy, Kyle, and Elijah are at the moment picking up some windows and doors that one of Uncle Craig's friend was going to throw out. We're becoming quite the scavengers! I was once again thinking about how much things have changed! About five years ago Daddy got his turkey, and I was absolutely grossed out by it! Perhaps I wasn't the perfect model of the average suburban girl, but I certainly wasn't very tough (not exactly the word I was looking for, but I don't want to spend too much time on this). Since that turkey I have helped slaughter several batches of chickens. I have also been more or less involved in slaughtering a steer and a bull. We have had some success with laying hens. We're hoping to do at least one of the pigs in about a month and a half. Things are rolling around here!

6 comments:

The Lingo Clan said...

I'm so proud of how you've progressed. You're turning into a first rate farm girl! Now, if only some of your fortitude would rub off on me! I'll need all of it that I can get next week when we process our first ever batch of broilers.

Love,
Trish

Laura said...

When you're processing be sure to get the scalding job! I personally prefer that one to all the others. With the killing you get bloody, the plucker soaks you, and I don't even consider the eviscerating job appropriate for a lady! Scalding is definitely the cleanest! See! It's not fortitude at all!

The Lingo Clan said...

I think I'm getting an even easier job. I'm in charge of quality control and packaging. What type of bags/ties, etc. do y'all use to package your birds?

~Trish

The Bradshaws said...

Trish,
We purchased poultry bags from Strombergs (www.strombergschickens.com/products/processing.php). I believe we got the broilers and Fryers bags. However, they didn't come with ties when we purchased we we just used saved-up twist ties.
Keith

The Lingo Clan said...

Thanks, Keith! Y'all are always so encouraging and helpful to us!

Trish

The Bradshaws said...

Trish,

I think I had an even better job than Laura. I was originally assigned to final check and packaging, and I did some of that on the beginning. However, we realized we needed pictures, so I ended up mostly taking pictures and running (okay--taking the Mule) to the house to put chickens in the freezer, and being, in general, gopher and photographer. (Photogopher??)

Mary Susan