Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Oh To Have What They Had!

3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. 4 But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast. 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."
--- Genesis 4:3-7


1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
--- Genesis 7:1

3 And the LORD said unto Jacob, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee.
--- Genesis 31:3


Perhaps He does, and I'm just a bad listener, but I long for the Lord to shout at me. I desire such straight-forward instruction that those men had. I want Him to tell me "It desires to have you, but you must master it." and I want Him to help me!

3 comments:

kali marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kali marie said...

Was it really that straight-forward for them? What may seem straight-forward to us may have actually been quite complicated for them to understand.

Abraham was just told to go.

As were the children of Israel.

You'd think Moses would have understood "talk to the rock", but he struck it instead.

Adam and Eve were only given one command: "don't eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil", but somehow it wasn't plain enough for them.

Laura said...

You're probably right, but I still desire it! If and when I'm ever in a courtship, for example, it sure would be nice if the Lord would say that he's not the one I have chosen for you, or he is the one. Still, you're right. We people sure are blockheads when it comes to direct commands!

Don't know if that made any sense; sorry!